Starting a new eCommerce site is incredibly exciting. Likely, you have a great product or service to offer and all the drive in the world to want it to succeed. It is becoming easier to get the store off the ground, but getting it to soar is another story. The web is filled with so many potential shops for consumers to purchase from. What separates yours from the pack? The reality is without two feet on the ground and a strong message behind your offerings, you could be over before you begin.
Consider these 7 deadly sins of building an eCommerce shop to ensure your shop rises to the occasion.
- No Logo or Brand: First impression means everything! Typically, you have less than a minute to entice shoppers to stay on your website and potentially convert to purchasing a product. You have to catch their eye! Therefore, ensure you have a concise brand and a logo! Creating a logo doesn’t need to be an ordeal. In the end, an eye-catching design will your brand more good than headache.
- No Social Proof: One of most important indicators for winning over hesitant shoppers is social proof. Shoppers will be more likely to convert if other verified shoppers can attest to your store’s benefit. Word of mouth is an incredibly powerful tool for any eCommerce business. This can be achieved through reviews, social media or shout outs. (Granted, social media with no following can do more harm than good).
- No About or Contact Page: Who are the shoppers purchasing from? About pages, for many websites, are one of the top visited pages. It is important! Shoppers want to know who you are and what your company stands for. What’s your company’s story? How can shoppers reach your company? Do you have a brick and mortar location they can visit? Even if you’re an eCommerce business, you should still be approachable, like a brick and mortar store.
- No Content Strategy: To be successful in the world of eCommerce, you need to be seen as a knowledge leader about what you do. When selling your products and services online, it is important to pair your products and services with stellar content. Demonstrate the many uses for your offerings and talk about trends and how you are a part of what is popular in your industry.
- No Unique Value Proposition: What separates your business from all the rest in your industry? Whether loosely related, a direct competitor or anything in between, it is important that your brand demonstrates what ensures it stands out. Display that value proposition proudly on all your marketing and lead with why shoppers need you. Without a unique positioning, your website will be lost in the crowd.
- Not Optimizing Your Website for Conversions: Once you are able to get visitors to your site, it would be valueless if you don’t have the ability to easily convert them. What are possible deal breakers to avoid? Your website could be too slow. Shoppers will likely leave if loading time takes more than 4 seconds. No clear call to action? Without a clear goal on each page the shoppers may lose interest and wander off. Website looks amateur? The more succinct and professional your website looks, the more credibility it will have! If you haven’t optimized for conversions, you are giving away potential sales to competitors.
- Build and They Will Come Mentality: Even if you have a great product and a beautiful website, that won’t ensure the success of your website. It takes hard work, time and effort. The success of any eCommerce business includes a great platform and a strategy that will drive in shoppers. This includes a method to drive shoppers to your website! Do you include search? Social media advertisements? Retargeting?
We suggest including data advertising in your acquisition strategy. We can assist in driving new traffic to your website focused on in-market shoppers who may not have given your website a look yet! No better way to grow than to reach new, untapped shoppers! We can give suggestions about the other deadly sins, but count us in on your secret weapon for number 7!
Hivewyre is a forward-thinking programmatic advertising company. Their private data cooperative allows advertisers to share first-party audience data and build targeted campaigns for prospecting new customers based on their competitors’ unconverted shoppers. Hivewyre advertisers have access to fresh, exclusive data that will never be sold to a third party. With over 500 retailers and over 100 million monthly in-market shoppers in our co-op, our distinct advertising strategy allows you to combat rising search engine PPC & PLA costs and the ever-expanding online marketplace growth. In addition to access to the exclusive data, co-op members benefit from full-service account management and detailed reporting of the return from advertising spend. To learn more about Hivewyre, visit www.hivewyre.com.